HBM nCode > Services > Material Characterization & Fatigue Testing Services > Service Details
nCode Material Testing Service Details
HBM-nCode provides material testing services for material assurance, material characterization and specialized testing projects. Fully characterized design curves are derived from test data analyzed and interpreted in-house using customer-specified Certainty of Survival and Confidence Interval for direct use in fatigue analysis software.
nCode Material Characterization
The nCode Material Characterization service includes material testing and analysis to derive design curves for use in component fatigue analysis. This unique service is fully customizable and provides all the material properties necessary for mechanical FEA and fatigue analysis.
Fatigue life is represented in terms of Strain-Life (EN) or Stress-Life (SN). In most cases strain controlled tests are utilized in order to obtain the highest quality curves.
Range of Services
- Tensile and compression tests with full evaluation of basic mechanical properties
- Strain-controlled fatigue tests for Basquin, Coffin-Manson, Smith-Watson-Topper and Ramburg-Osgood curves. Full evaluation of regression and design curves
- Load-controlled fatigue tests for Basquin curves. Full evaluation of regression and design curves
- High temperature tensile, creep and fatigue tests in strain or load control between -40 to 1050°C. Analysis of Iso-thermal SN and EN curves or analysis of advanced Chaboche thermo-mechanical fatigue properties
- Testing to recognized standards, in-house customer standard or development of bespoke tests for advanced materials and components
- In-house design and manufacture of test specimens and required test equipment
- Full specimen preparation from stock materials or customer-supplied materials
- Extraction of specimens from real components
- Fatigue testing of jointed materials
- Tensile and fatigue testing of advanced engineering polymers
- Testing of civil engineering elastomeric materials
- Fatigue tests for axial, torsion, rotating bend, 4 point bend or custom tests
- Strain-life characterization of automotive body materials
- Life testing of cast iron engine materials from components
- Determination of elevated temperature fatigue performance of welded thin sheets
- Qualification of candidate surface coatings for replacement of hexavalent chrome on aircraft parts
- Quality Assurance testing of casting suppliers
- Thin sheet fully reversed testing of radiator core materials
- Fatigue characterization of short-fibre composite materials for automotive application
- Fatigue life testing of human implants and medical devices
nCode Material Assurance
The nCode Material Assurance service offers certainty that a material is performing to an acceptable level. Based on a minimum feasible number of test specimens, a hypothesis test is performed to determine whether the supplied specimens correlate with the supplied design curve.
The service is used to compare real material performance with a company’s existing design curve. Service is also offered for comparing the fatigue performance of different materials.
All material testing services are performed at the ISO 9001 certified Advanced Materials Characterization & Testing Facility (AMCT Facility) operated by HBM-nCode. All test equipment is calibrated to United Kingdom Accreditation Services (UKAS) standard by accredited bodies.